Saturday, July 24, 2010

Easy Vanilla Pizelle!

Pizelle cookies are an Italian favorite! (and a favorite in my household too) They are flat, round cookies (which is basically what "pizelle" means in Italian) that are generally cooked on a flat iron (kind of like a waffle maker). I happen to still have the one we used to use when I was a kid. So I put it to the test the other day for no special reason at all. No birthday or feast day - just my own sweet tooth..... Well, it proved to be a success:) Here's my recipe for vanilla (my favorite)...

VANILLA PIZELLE
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 - 1 cup flour (less flour = thinner pizelle)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Add and beat ingredients together. The batter will be thick but flow from a spoon. Place about one tablespoon of batter on the griddle.



Close lid. Allow to cook until steaming stops (about45- 60 seconds) Remove with fork.

Trim excess around edges with a knife. Allow to cool on a rack or on a kitchen towel.



While they are hot, try rolling them into a cylinder or placing them inside a cupcake pan to make a mini bowl. Then they are perfect for serving pudding or yogurt or other creamy concoctions in:) You can dust them with powdered sugar and serve once cooled....

OR you can do what I did and eat them all before anyone else sees you.

Pizelle cookies are so diverse. You can switch it up simply by changing out the vanilla for anise extract or even lemon extract and lemon peel. Try what you like best, and definitely let me know the results. Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...