Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Homemade Crayon Rolls

Each year at Christmas we buy and make gifts to put under the tree....but the gift giving doesn't stop on Dec 25th!!

After all, there are 12 days of Christmas and Epiphany wraps up the gift season for us. As goes the Italian tradition, La Befana comes and brings the children goodies in their shoes on January 6th. In our family, we also make small handmade gifts for each other! Usually I will pick one craft project and make a mass produce them for all the kiddos in the family (mine plus nieces and nephews!) This year in my little factory (a.k.a. my kitchen table) I was sewing up a storm with these awesome crayon rolls.

Now, let me warn you that I do not sew very well. I hate patterns and I just can't follow directions!! I can, however, sew a straight line and that is pretty much all you need to know how to do for this project. I got ideas from a tutorial here and then pretty much ignored the directions, channeled Frank Sinatra and did it my way. What can I say, I'm Italian....

I cut these peices of fabric
1.) 16 1/2 inches by 5 inches
2.) 16 1/2 inches by 5 inches
3.) 16 1/2 inches by 6 inches, then folded in half longways
4.) FUSEABLE INTERFACING: 16 1/2 by 5

Then I ironed the interfacing to fabric piece #1. Then I took the folded fabric piece #3 and placed in on top of piece #1.

I lined up the bottoms, so that the folded piece became the pocket. Then I starting sewing vertical lines, starting 1 1/2 inches from the end. Then every 1 inch after that until I got to the other end. These made up the crayon slots.

Then I sewed the two fabrics together (wrong sidees together) flipped it inside out and top stitched around the whole thing!! You can add a button or shoe laces to wrap it up, but the tutorial will be MUCH MORE INFORMATIVE!! I just wanted to give you an idea...

aAd that's how it's done!!! Buona Fortuna!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I got ideas from a tutorial here and then pretty much ignored the directions, channeled Frank Sinatra and did it my way. What can I say, I'm Italian...."

You are a scream! :-) LOL..."I did it mmmyyyyy waaayy......"
I'll have to file that idea away for future reference....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...