Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Soft Glazed Molasses Cookies!!!


I tell you now I am definitely NO BAKER!!! I just can't wrap my hands around the scientific methods behind measurements and leavening and wet/dry ingredients.....it's just too much for my brain to handle. I cook (and I can't even do that very well) only because I am at liberty to add a little of this, and a little of that at my discretion!! This could have something to do with the fact that my 100% Italian blood dictates a rather stubborn personality that does not lend itself to following directions very well. But that's just a theory....

So when I had to come up with something for a cookie exchange, I went with a cookie that I knew I would LOVE since I would have to spend ample time rebelling against my tendency to experiment and actually follow a recipe! I love those off-brand iced oatmeal cookies you find on the bottom shelf in the cookie aisles at the grocery store. I generally go through half a package in one sitting. And I also LOVE gingerbread cookies but I hate the labor involved in rolling out dough and cutting out shapes (I told you I was lazy). So this recipe is a combo of both my favorites and really is fool proof! After all, I have made it three times and perfectly each time!! I also suggest the use of a cookie scoop as it is my new FAVORITE kitchen tool! Try it for yourself:

GLAZED SOFT MOLASSES COOKIES

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 TB cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt

PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES

Beat the sugar, sour cream, butter, shortening and egg together with a hand mixer. Stir in remaining ingredients. Drop dough with a cookie scoop on to parchment paper or un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until no indentation remains when pressed. Drizzle with glaze and eat em up!

GLAZE:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter (softened completely)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 or more TBSP milk (more as needed to thin it out)

Mix until thin enough to either drizzle on in a cute pattern, or brush on with a brush while cookies are still warm. There is no way you could be disappointed with these cookies! ENJOY!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...