Monday, June 6, 2011

Homemade Crackers (better than wheat thins!)


Now that summer has made it's debut, we have been having a lot more get-togethers with family and friends. One of the easiest hoers derv's to serve is cheese & crackers.

Given my obsession with cheese during this pregnancy, and all the milling of fresh whole wheat flour that I have been up to lately, I decided to make try my own crackers from scratch!

The recipe is a piece of cake, and worth it once you get the hang of it. I can't say I'll make these all the time, but they are WAY healthier than the store bought variety and JUST as tasty!

WHOLE WHEAT CRACKERS
4 tbsp. butter, softened
1 1/4 whole wheat flour (all purpose would work as well)
1/2 tsp. salt + more for topping
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 cup cold water, as needed

Cut the butter into the flour/salt/sugar/paprika mixture. Add in the cold water until a smooth dough forms. Knead only as much is necessary to form the dough - do not overknead!
Separate dough into four pieces (this makes rolling out a bit easier).
Roll out each dough ball as thin as possible onto lightly floured parchment paper.
Poke with a fork all over, THEN cut with a pizza cutter into squares.
(If you do not poke until after you cut, your crackers will get all messed up, so follow the order of instructions here, people!)
Sprinkle them with salt.

Bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 - 7 minutes or until edges of the entire rolled out cracker dough begin to brown. Let them crisp up in a warm oven. (After I'm done baking all my crackers, I just leave them in the cooled oven once it has been off for a bit)

Serve with some YUMMY Boursin Cheese!

For a variation, try adding 3 or 4 tsp. of Italian Seasoning to the flour before mixing! I've done it and it's fabulous!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how two blogs I follow have a cracker postings in the same week -- you might want to check out
http://www.foodwhine.com/2011/06/homemade-graham-crackers.html

una mamma italiana said...

HA!! That recipe looks pretty yummy! I've been looking for a graham cracker recipe! Thanks for the tip! And I'm gonna try their pan method! CIAO!!!

Murissa said...

Looks so delicious! Will have to try it for a night when it is my turn to entertain.

The Wanderfull Traveler

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...