I am always looking for ways to 'Italianize' the common snack. (yes, I make up my own words, get used to it.) That's how this recipe for "garlic parmigiano popp-a-corn" was born. It's so easy, and it sure beats that greasy, stale stuff you get at the theatre. I attribute the popularity of this snack to my love for garlic. I have inevitably passed it on to my chilren, who love to peel it, smell it, and eat it. And so began our family movie nights - with an Italian twist:
- Pop a bag of popcorn in the micro (you can find some really good organic varieties these days!)
- While it's popping, heat 3-4 tablespoons of butter in a small pot until melted. (adjust amount according to number of bags)
- Stir in a little bit of fresh, finely chopped parsley
- Mix in some salt and pepper, to taste*
- Add in two cloves of minced garlic (about 2 tsp). Be careful not to brown it, just slightly heat it.
- Empty popcorn into a large bowl and toss it evenly in the butter mixture, then toss in a few heaping spoonfuls of grated parmesan cheese.
- Mangia, e guarda il film!
*Note: cayenne pepper or hot pepper flakes really spice this up! Or try adding lemon juice for a tangy twist!